I am so excited I have gone back to school ! I am going to be a teacher!! This is not a whim, it's not even a new idea, I have been thinking about this and planning for it for many years. I had it all figured out even to the point of filling out applications 8 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with Emily. Obviously that put things on hold for a little bit! For the last couple of years since Emily has started school I have been thinking of getting going again but the idea of spending thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars held me back. Then I was surfing on a state certification web sites and found a new program they started. After the 'No Child Left Behind Act' there were new requirements about the proportions of teachers that had to be 'Highly qualified' that meant a lot of teachers on provisional certificates had to go back to school and a lot of new applicants needed more credits. Before only 4 Schools in the state were approved to educate teachers, ASU, NAU, Grand Canyon and University of Phoenix. Now because they had to change the requirements many more schools were allowed to start programs just to handle the load. So I was looking at the list of schools and I saw Rio Salado. I almost freaked because Erin had taken classes there through her High School Dual Enrollment (you get college credit for advanced HS classes) I knew what their tuition was cause I had paid it for Erin and I knew it was affordable. They have what they call a Post-Bac teacher certification program. Which basically means if you have a bachelors already you can take 27 credits (about 2 semesters) of EDU classes, do a 9 week student teaching, pass all the teacher boards and you have a teaching certificate! All at Jr. college prices!! YEA!! So I jumped right on that puppy and signed my self up. Because it is mostly online it is really flexible and works with my Mom Job perfect. I am going to start part time and see how the family does, I will probably go part time year round instead of full time and take summers off like traditional students. But then there is nothing traditional about this student!! So in about 2 years I should be in a classroom somewhere in the East Valley teaching school. I am leaning toward High School mostly because I like teenagers, but I have a few classes coming up that have in class (observing, helping the teacher) requirements and am waiting to 100% decide till I have more info. I would love to also get certified as a Library teacher and run a library at a school. I have to teach for a while to be able to do that so it is a further-down-the-road-lets-see-what-happens kind of goal. So there you have it Jennie Bradfield, 46, college co-ed! (hey I even got into a movie cheap the other day with my student ID, how cool is that!!)
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
I have gone back to school!!
I am so excited I have gone back to school ! I am going to be a teacher!! This is not a whim, it's not even a new idea, I have been thinking about this and planning for it for many years. I had it all figured out even to the point of filling out applications 8 years ago when I found out I was pregnant with Emily. Obviously that put things on hold for a little bit! For the last couple of years since Emily has started school I have been thinking of getting going again but the idea of spending thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars held me back. Then I was surfing on a state certification web sites and found a new program they started. After the 'No Child Left Behind Act' there were new requirements about the proportions of teachers that had to be 'Highly qualified' that meant a lot of teachers on provisional certificates had to go back to school and a lot of new applicants needed more credits. Before only 4 Schools in the state were approved to educate teachers, ASU, NAU, Grand Canyon and University of Phoenix. Now because they had to change the requirements many more schools were allowed to start programs just to handle the load. So I was looking at the list of schools and I saw Rio Salado. I almost freaked because Erin had taken classes there through her High School Dual Enrollment (you get college credit for advanced HS classes) I knew what their tuition was cause I had paid it for Erin and I knew it was affordable. They have what they call a Post-Bac teacher certification program. Which basically means if you have a bachelors already you can take 27 credits (about 2 semesters) of EDU classes, do a 9 week student teaching, pass all the teacher boards and you have a teaching certificate! All at Jr. college prices!! YEA!! So I jumped right on that puppy and signed my self up. Because it is mostly online it is really flexible and works with my Mom Job perfect. I am going to start part time and see how the family does, I will probably go part time year round instead of full time and take summers off like traditional students. But then there is nothing traditional about this student!! So in about 2 years I should be in a classroom somewhere in the East Valley teaching school. I am leaning toward High School mostly because I like teenagers, but I have a few classes coming up that have in class (observing, helping the teacher) requirements and am waiting to 100% decide till I have more info. I would love to also get certified as a Library teacher and run a library at a school. I have to teach for a while to be able to do that so it is a further-down-the-road-lets-see-what-happens kind of goal. So there you have it Jennie Bradfield, 46, college co-ed! (hey I even got into a movie cheap the other day with my student ID, how cool is that!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment